Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Tuesday Tips!

Howdy All!  I have to say I am feeling MUCH better than I was at the end of last week.  I took a much needed personal day today to get my life in order.  My to-do list was never ending.  Although I didn't get through everything, I feel like I got a lot done.  The telethon was yesterday.    The preliminary numbers are that we raised over $4,000 which will go directly to the teachers in our district!  I am really glad it turned out so well but I am SO glad that it's over!

I'm super excited to share this week's tips with you.  I've been doing a lot of blog hopping in my "free-time" (I crack myself up!)  Let me tell you there are some incredibly talented people out there.  I found a few that really inspired me for the week ahead.  I hope you enjoy!

Rainbow Template:
I always allow my kids to paint a rainbow during this week.  We talk a lot about the colors of the rainbow (Roy G. Biv) and read a few non-fiction books on the topic.  It's always a HUGE hassel to draw out 25 rainbows for my little ones to paint.  Well thanks to Maria over at Kinder-Craze my time will be better spent!

To create the rainbow template you need an old folder and scissors.  With the folder folded, I drew the arches starting from the lower left-hand corner.  I tried using a compass but mine is pretty cheapy so it didn't work well.  Then I found a protractor which worked well, except I couldn't go all the way to the bottom....I had to free-hand that part.  After the arches are drawn, cut the folder following the arches you traced.  I went an extra step and made the cut a little wider so it was easier to fit my pencil in between to trace it.



Definitely check out her blog (Kinder-Craze.)  She has some fabulous ideas and she is celebrating her one-year blogiversary!  Give her some bloggy love and follow her!


Font Addiction!
Seriously, how can you be a blogger and a TpT Seller and NOT be addicted to fonts?  If you figure it out let me know!  Fonts make me happy.  Cute fonts make me even happier!  Here's the problem (I know, how can there possibly be a problem?)  I have SOOOO many fonts that it can take for-e-ver to find just the right one.  Highlight, select, repeat, highlight, select, repeat.  Well Jennifer over at First Grade Blue Skies came up with the perfect solution.  She created small cards with each font listed so she could easily grab the cards and figure out what she needs. The funny thing is that I already had a Word document with each font name written in the font itself.  DUH, it never occurred to me to print them out on easy to access cards.  Here is a pic of the cards I made after reading her blog.


Whisper Phones
These have been on my to-do list allllll year!  I have several Tubaloo's in my classroom and the kids just go crazy to use them!  Well Miss Martin (one of my favorite bloggers) motivated me to make them....well, soon.  It's still on my to-do list but hey, at least I'm motivated now.  C'mon look at how stinkin cute they turned out.  I can't wait to make mine!  Can anyone say PURPLE?!?!?



Check out Miss Martin's Classroom blog!  She provides an entire tutorial for making these cuties. It is sooooo worth the visit, trust me!

Well I hope you've gotten inspired by one of these great ideas as well!  Do you have any AWESOME ideas you'd like featured on Tuesday Tips?  If so, please let me know by leaving a comment or e-mailing me at thekindergartenpod@yahoo.com.  Feel free to post any time-saving tips, classroom management tricks or any great ideas below as well.  Thanks for stopping by :)











6 comments:

  1. OMG, I am sooo making those whisper phones! What a fun way to encourage foreign language practice! Thanks for the inspiration.

    Julie
    OpenWideTheWorld

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they just adorable? Miss Martin is one of my favorite blogs. Defintely check her out!

      Lori

      Delete
  2. I made whisper phones, but they are not anywhere near as cute as those!! Mine are pretty ancient, maybe it's time to make some new ones!! I like how those look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay tuned. I will be making mine soon with a little twist! My kids LOVE using them. It's like a toy for reading. Talk about motivation!

      Lori

      Delete
  3. I suffer from font addiction, as well. It never entered my mind to make a print out! And, I love the whisper phones. They look great and I know the kids will love them.
    Laura
    Oh, How Pintearesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, how cool is the print out! I will warn you though. Once I printed mine out I realized I didn't have nearly enough fonts! This process may increase your addiction :P

    Lori

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...