Monday, December 3, 2012

Sight Word Practice

Happy Monday!  Man oh man was I dragging today!  This weekend went wayyyy too fast. 

I apologize in advance for the long posting but I feel like I've been neglecting my blog.  I have a few cute things I wanted to share with you. I started this at the beginning of the year with my kiddies because those sight words are sooo darn important at this age.  We call them "Popcorn Words" because these words pop-up in a lot of our books.  I have two doors in my classroom and this summer when I was shopping at the teacher store I found these adorable popcorn basket cards.  I bought them having no idea what I would do with them but figured I'd find a way to put them to good use.  Here's what I did with them...........


Whenever the kids leave the room to go to the bathroom (every 5 minutes) or run an errand they tap out their sight words.  One one door I have this week's words and on the other door I put last week's words.  It really helps to have the extra week so they don't forget them!  The kids enjoy doing it too which is a bonus :)

           ******************************************************************
We just finished our Bears Unit last week.  I have a very smart group of kids this year but they've been struggling in writing.  I came up with a fun activity for them where they get to create a bear of their own.  We started by making a brown construction paper collage over a blackline bear image.  When we were done all the gluing, the kids cut the bears in half (it really helps to have a sample to show them.)  Surprisingly, no one cried at cutting the bears, lol.  I gave them pre-measured and pre-cut paper to write about their bears.   We glued the paper in between the two halves and voila....we had an adorable writing piece.  The kids enjoyed naming their bears and telling me all about them!

"My bear's name is Luke. He likes tree(s). He likes to play with me."

Sooooo proud of them!

          *******************************************************************

Finally, I introduced some new games to my kiddies today.  They played Crazy Candy Canes for the first time.  I couldn't believe how much they got into the game!  It was a huge hit for them and psstt....don't tell them they were actually reviewing their sight words :)  We also played Christmas Roll and Record, Too today.  That game is always a hit with my kiddies!  I truly believe the games & activities I make MUST BE FUN or the kids won't want to play it.  If it's fun then the learning just happens. 

That's it for now - I warned you it was a long one :)  Hope you have a GREAT week!

Lori

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...